For safety and practical reasons, we believe you should always walk with a professional, certified mountain guide.
But if you’re seriously considering hiking unguided in Madeira, we suggest you check WalkMe.
WalkMe is a mobile app for Android and iOS that brings Madeira’s levada trails and routes to your mobile phone or tablet.
With over 30 trails (also available offline) and new walks being added every week, WalkMe includes the followings key features:
- Distance, duration, altitude and difficulty level of every trail
- Trail description and photos
- GPS trail on Google maps or OpenStreetMap
- GPS pinpointing your position
- Points of interest along each trail
- Recommended equipment
- Directions: how to get there by car and public transportation
- Social features to share your adventures with friends
For a full description of the app or to download WalkMe, just follow the links:
If instead you’re looking for professionally guided walks, choose Nature Meetings.